The first thing that you will need to do is to increase the size of the file system. Portable Ubuntu comes with a 2GB file system, and that is not enough to even upgrade to 8.10.
1. Make sure you do not have Portable Ubuntu open
2. On your Windows machine, open a windows console.
3. Navigate to the Portable Ubuntu folder you downloaded and then go to images folder.
4. Create a new image file by typing the following:
fsutil file createnew more_space.img /size in bytes/
For example, if you want to add 4Gb more (giving you 6Gb total):
fsutil file createnew more_space.img 4294967296
5. Join this file with the root filesystem image by typing the following:
copy /b rootfs.img+more_space.img rootfs_.img
6. Next, you need rename rootfs_.img to rootfs.img
7. Now run Portable Ubuntu by running the run_portable_ubuntu.bat
8. When Portable Ubuntu is ready, type in a terminal:
sudo su *default pwd is 123456
resize2fs -f /dev/cobd0
- 1 GB = 1073741824
- 2 GB = 2147483648
- 4 GB = 4294967296
- 8 GB = 8589934592
- x GB = x*1024^3